Student jobs. You can work and earn money while you study.

Table of contents

Who can work based on a student job agreement?

An agreement on a student job allows young people from the age of 16 to work (provided that they have completed compulsory school attendance) up to the age of 26 if study at a secondary school or at a university as a full-time student.

This type of agreement allows you to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week on average.

It means that you can work fewer hours one week and more hours another week. However, the total number per year cannot exceed 20 hours per week on average.

In addition, working hours of a student worker cannot exceed 12 hours within a 24-hour period. For young people under 18, working hours cannot exceed 8 hours in a 24-hour period.

An agreement on a student job can be concluded for a maximum of 12 months. After the end of this period, it can be extended.

Confirmation of study

An agreement on a student job must include a confirmation of full-time study at a secondary school or a university.

Student jobs are not possible with part-time study.

You can get a confirmation of study upon request from the study department of your school. Each school or academic year, you have to apply for a confirmation again and attach to the current student job agreement.

Student job nature

An agreement on a student job must include:

  • job description,
  • working hours,
  • remuneration for work performed,
  • date on which the wage is paid and
  • period for which the agreement is concluded.

Exemption from paying levies

Student jobs are exempted from paying levies for up to EUR 200. If you have several student jobs, this benefit only applies for one employer you specify. The exemption from paying levies cannot be applied for other agreements.

If you earn more than EUR 200 per month, you only pay levies from the difference of the resulting wage and this amount.


Martin earned EUR 346 in March. He will pay levies of 7% only from the amount of EUR 146, because he applied for the exemption from paying levies for the amount of EUR 200.

Where to look for a student job?

When applying for a job, you will need a CV and, in some cases, a cover letter.

You can find more in the following articles How to write a CV or Cover letter.

You will also need a bank account where your wage will be sent. The account must be held in your name. Almost all banks provide student accounts that are usually free of charge.

You can find student job offers at:

Table of contents

Did you like this article?

Need advice?

More articles

Cash assistance for refugees with vulnerabilities 2024

Arriving in Slovakia – how to proceed?

Applying for Asylum in Slovakia

Arriving in Slovakia – how to proceed?

Map of services