As of 1 March, Slovakia provides a special form of protection – temporary refuge status – to people fleeing the war in Ukraine. The provision of temporary refuge grants a tolerated stay permit in Slovakia, the right to work or study, and access to healthcare.
Who can apply for the temporary refuge:
Ukrainian citizens and their family members who resided in Ukraine before 24 February 2022:
- wife / husband of a Ukrainian citizen
- minor children of a Ukrainian citizen or minor children of their spouse
- parents of a minor child, who is a Ukrainian citizen
- dependent members of their households
As of 17 March 2022, the temporary refuge is also provided to non-Ukrainian citizens meeting one of the following conditions:
- They were granted permanent residence in Ukraine before 24 February 2022 and cannot return safely to their country/region of origin.
- They were granted asylum or international protection by Ukraine before 24 February 2022. Their family members (spouse, minor children, dependent members of their household) residing in Ukraine before 24 February 2022 can also apply for a temporary refuge status.
Where to submit temporary refuge applications:
People who crossed the border and wish to apply for temporary refuge are transported from border crossing areas to the centers in Humenné and Michalovce, where they can submit all documents required. After submitting the applications, they are provided shuttle transportation to designated accommodation facilities.
- in person at any Foreign Police Department closest to you. You can check the addresses and working hours on the website of the Ministry of the Interior.
You can also register electronically using a QR code or via the website Ministry of Interior .
After filling in the electronic form “Registration of temporary refuge”, you need to go to the Foreign Police Office or a large-capacity center. A temporary refuge certificate will be issued to the foreigner while one waits.
As the police collect biometric data of all the applicants, they need to submit their applications in person. Minors must be present as well.
- If you have your travel, ID or other required document with you, the temporary refuge will be granted on the spot (the waiting time depends on the workload of the given Foreign Police office)
- If you do not have any documents with you, but have an accommodation secured in Slovakia, you can submit your application at any Foreing Police Department. The application for temporary refuge will be processed within 30 days. Health care is available for you once the application is submitted.
- If you do not have any documents with you and do not have an accomodation secured, you need to apply for a temporary refuge at the Asylum Department in Humenne. The application will be processed within 30 days. During this period you can stay at the facility of the Migration Office in Humenné, where you are provided free meals, health care and hygiene supplies.
Temporary refuge shall be granted until 4 March 2023 and shall be automatically extended for 6 months, up to a maximum of one year, unless the Council of the European Union decides otherwise.
Once you have been granted temporary shelter, you will be issued with a TOLERATED STAY DOCUMENT (sample). Keep the document for the use of your landlord, employer or school.
RIGHTS GUARANTEED BY THE TEMPORARY REFUGE STATUS:
- Tolerated stay permit for a displaced person “DOČASNÉ ÚTOČISKO” (previously issued cards with the original designation “ODÍDENEC” will not change and remain valid)
- Right to work without a work permit
- Access to education (school attendance is compulsory for all minor children)
- Access to healthcare (provided to those who can present an ID issued to temporary refuge applicants or a document proving that a person has been granted a temporary refuge and a tolerated stay)
- Material Need Benefit and other specific allowances
- You are not a taxpayer for dog tax and accommodation tax, nor are you a taxpayer for municipal waste.
Request for temporary refuge (SK / UK / EN) – to be completed in Latin
Frequently Asked Questions about Temporary Refuge and Comparison with Asylum (SK / UK / RU / EN)
ACCOMMODATION ADDRESS AND ITS REPORT:
You can apply for temporary refuge and it will be granted to you even if you do not yet have a secure address in Slovakia.
If you have already secured accommodation in Slovakia when applying for temporary refuge, you must provide one of the following documents when applying for temporary refuge:
- a declaration of all property owners on the provision of accommodation,
- or a lease agreement signed with the owner (s) of the property,
- or declaration of accommodation facility about provision of the accommodation.
The signatures on these documents do not have to be certified.
We remind you that even a foreigner with temporary refuge is obliged to report his/her address to the locally relevant department of the Foreign Police within 3 working days via this form in person or by post.
In the case that you find new housing after being granted temporary refuge, you must report the change of address to the municipality or city district where you have secured new accommodation.In such a case, it is necessary to submit a certificate of tolerated stay in the territory of the Slovak Republic, fill in the relocation form and submit a document on new accommodation, which may be a lease agreement, confirmation of accommodation facility on accommodation, as well as solemn declaration of property owners on the provision of accommodation.
APPLYING FOR TEMPORARY REFUGE IS NOT MANDATORY.
- Ukrainian citizens are entitled to visa-free entry to Slovakia. However, it does not enable them to work or be entitled to state-provided health insurance.
- The provision of temporary refuge does not apply to citizens of Ukraine who have permanent or temporary residence in Slovakia, are asylum seekers or have already been granted asylum or subsidiary protection.
- If you have been in Slovakia for a longer period of time, haven’t been granted a residence permit and are not sure whether to apply for a temporary refuge, please get in touch with us.