Banks in Slovakia
You can open a bank account and get a payment with the following banks:
- Slovenská sporiteľňa (SLSP)
- Tatra banka (TB)
- Všeobecná úverová banka (VÚB)
- Československá obchodná banka (ČSOB)
- Prima banka Slovensko
- Poštová banka (PB)
- Fio banka
- UniCredit Bank Slovakia
- Raiffeisen BANK
Currently, it is not possible to exchange Ukrainian hryvnias (UAH) for euros (EUR) in exchange offices and banks due to the regulation of the National Bank of Ukraine.
Withdrawal of money from ATMs
Card payments and withdrawals from ATMs in Slovakia are available for clients with accounts held in Ukrainian banks in hryvnias (UAH).
You can withdraw euros (EUR) from ATMs using an international payment card (VISA, MasterCard, Maestro, Diners Club, etc.).
ATMs can be found in all cities and at Vyšné Nemecké (Tatra banka) and Čierna nad Tisou (Prima banka, Slovenská sporiteľňa) border crossings.
Sending money to Ukraine
Services like WISE and Western Union allow you to send money from Europe to Ukraine. The maximum amount you can send is 399,999 UAH per month. Due to the imposed sanctions, it is not possible to send money to Crimea, Luhansk and Donetsk.
Bank services at discounted prices
Slovenská sporiteľna offers citizens of Ukraine an account for one year for free, including a payment card. As part of the service, you will get free account deposits, withdrawals from ATMs in Slovakia and abroad, as well as sending money to Ukraine.
Tatra banka offers a quick and simple account opening. You can enjoy a free bank account until December 31, 2023. As part of the service, you can make deposits, withdrawals from ATMs in Slovakia and abroad for free.
VÚB banka offers citizens of Ukraine a personal bank account with a 100% discount on the monthly management fee for a period of 24 months held in EUR or USD. Likewise, you can also use the services of safe deposit boxes for a period of 12 months for free. You can also make account deposits and send money to Ukraine for free.
What you will need
You can open a free bank account at any branch of Slovenská sporiteľna or Tatra banka.
You will need an identity document (international passport, ID card from Ukraine, or other travel document) and a residence permit (temporary refuge, temporary residence, asylum, or visa), or a border crossing document (stamp in the passport with the date of entry into the Slovak Republic).
- Slovenská sporiteľňa – the bank offers a discounted package of services for citizens of Ukraine.
- Tatra banka – the bank offers a discounted package of services for citizens of Ukraine.
- VÚB banka – the bank offers a discounted package of services for citizens of Ukraine.
- List of banks – you can find a complete list of banks in Slovakia with their logos, abbreviated designation and numerical code on this page.
- WISE – service for sending money securely from Europe to Ukraine.
- Western Union – service for sending money securely from Europe to Ukraine.