Local municipalities provide free-of-charge shuttle transportation from several border crossing points.
- From the Vyšné Nemecké border crossing, there is a free bus service to the large-capacity center in Michalovce, as well as to the train station in Košice and Michalovce. From both cities you can get by train to other slovak cities, as well as abroad. See the possibilities of train connections and plan a specific connection on the Slovak Railways website .
Attention! From July 7, 2022! All persons are entitled to free national transport (by train and by suburban buses), but only if they present an identity card (ID card or passport) and at the same time:
- a) a SLOVAK HELP card with a red stamp with text in UA language, which is issued when crossing the UA-SK state border,
Attention! It is necessary to ask for it when crossing the border and it is not issued to persons who cross the border repeatedly.
- b) a document proving the acquisition of temporary refuge status (in the first issue).
Such transport shall be provided by:
- Railway Company of the Slovak Republic (ZSSK) – in all trains, including InterCity trains and compulsory passenger trains
- bus transport in Košice, Prešov, Banská Bystrica, Bratislava and Trnava regions
- Transport company Bratislava and Žilina
- bus companies Slovak Lines, LeviTour, DAKA bus (just show your Ukrainian passport)
- route from Bratislava to Schwechat airport and back
- In Košice and Bratislava, information stands have been set up at train stations for the basic orientation.
Attention! Entitlement to a free ticket is valid for 4 days from the date of obtaining the document (SLOVAK HELP card)
Entitlement to free transport does not apply to:
- persons who do not prove that they are citizens of Ukraine.
- persons who repeatedly enter the territory of the Slovak Republic within the last 30 calendar days.
- persons who have obtained the 2nd and subsequent issuance of a document proving the status of temporary refuge.
- all public transport lines, as in this case the decision on free public transport is made by the respective municipality (for more info about public transport in the municipality (city/municipality) where you are located, we recommend to visit the specific municipality’s website.
During the emergency situation, vehicles and combinations of vehicles registered in Ukraine are exempted from paying the motorway toll.
Please visit the following websites for information on train and bus schedules: