Upon arrival in Slovakia

After entering Slovakia, citizens of Ukraine can stay in the country and other countries which also have visa-free travel for 90 days. Everyone is obliged to monitor the duration of this period. During your stay in Slovakia, you do not have the right to work and are not entitled to the state-provided health insurance.

If you want to stay in Slovakia for a longer period of time, you need to apply for a certain type of stay. In connection with the war, the Slovak Republic offers people fleeing Ukraine the opportunity to request temporary refuge, which is currently the simplest way of protection for people fleeing the war and does not require lengthy official procedures. Temporary refuge allows you quick and unrestricted access to the Slovak labor market, health care and access to education for children. This special form of protection can in principle be obtained immediately.

Alternatively, you can apply for asylum, which is administratively longer and can take up to 6 months.


Every foreigner who arrives in Slovakia and is not a citizen of the European Union or a family member of a citizen of the European Union is obliged to report his / her residence in the Slovak Republic within 3 working days of entering the Slovak Republic at any Foreign police office or by post.

  • If you are an EU citizen or a family member of an EU citizen, this period is 10 working days.
  • If you have secured accommodation in the accommodation facility (hotel, hostel), this obligation will be fulfilled by the landlord.


You can find the application form for download in various language versions here.

We recommend that you send the report by post, as the Foreign Police currently process with priority requests for  temporary refuge. 

If you have been granted permanent, temporary, tolerated or other residence that is due to expire during the emergency situation, you can stay in Slovakia for up to 2 months from the withdrawal of the emergency situation – for this purpose, the police department will issue a residence permit with validity determined by a specific date. If you decide to return to your home country, you can request it as part of an assisted voluntary return. For this purpose, you can also apply to the police for a foreign passport.

Types of stay in Slovakia

CAUTION: All the information above is subject to change depending on further development. Get back for updates here on our website.