State benefits

From May 1, 2022, international organisations temporarily take over the payment of contributions in material need: the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) and the Slovak Red Cross with the support of the International Federation of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent (IFRC). If you have requested assistance in material need provided by one of the Offices of Labour, Social Affairs and Family, you will receive financial support from one of the organisations (UNHCR, UNICEF and IFRC).

Financial contribution from international organisations 

  • The specific amount of financial contribution depends on the number and age of the family members (in the household). For one month it is 80 EUR for an adult, 60 EUR for a child aged 3-18 years and 160 EUR for a child under 3 years of age. The maximum amount of financial contribution per household is 380 EUR per month. 
  • If the household member is a person (child or adult) with severe health disadvantage who needs the assistance of another person, UNICEF or IOM can support him by providing a care allowance. In case of a positive assessment, the amount of financial support for the caregiver is set at 508 EUR / month. ↗ More information
  • Each of the organisations will provide financial support through various mechanisms under the agreement upon registration (e.g. prepaid cards, bank transfers, P2P payments, etc.)
  • The financial support provided by each organisation shall be of the same amount. If the applicant receives financial support from one organisation (UNHCR, UNICEF, IFRC, IOM), you will not be able to receive it from another organization. 


↗ Conditions and procedure for obtaining financial support


State contributions for children

Children who attend a kindergarten or primary school and are from households receiving state aid for material need are entitled to a subsidy for food and school supplies (the application is submitted by the school’s founder).

In order to receive a contribution for meals, it is necessary to ask for the information when the child is enrolled in the kindergarten or primary school, the founder of the school or the office will direct the parent to the next procedure.

↗ More information  can be found on the website of the Center for Labor, Social Affairs and the Family  (SK/UK/EN).

↗ Frequently asked questions on employment, material hardship allowance and subsidies for children SK, UK, EN

↗ Contacts and opening hours of labor, social affairs and family departments.


Contribution to training courses 

From May 2022, persons with temporary refuge status can receive financial support for training courses that will improve their social and labour integration. 

In case of interest, the person himself or after consulting the Office of Labour, Social Affairs and Family will choose a specific training course aimed at acquiring theoretical knowledge or practical skills. A list of currently available courses can be found on websites such as,, or websites of individual education providers. 

More detailed information about providing a contribution for the training course for the leaver can be found HERE (SK/UK) or also at each Office of labour, social affairs and family.

If you need specific material assistance (clothing, material equipment for children or household, food), please contact the civic initiatives or Who Will Help Ukraine

↗Overview map of material aid in Slovak cities and Bratislava